Sandro Bracchitta was born in Ragusa, Italy, in 1966.
He studied at the Florence to attend a course on painting at the School of Fine Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti), getting his degree in 1990; in the same year he began working as a painter and engraver. His first personal exhibition took place in 1991 at Palazzo Datini in Prato, Italy.
In 1992 he was awardered a scholarship to specialise at the school of graphics arts “Il Bisonte” in Florence, and in 1993 In the same year he began to exhibit his works in several art exhibitions. In 1994 he was invited to take part in the World Triennial Engraving Exhibition in Chamalières (France), and in the same year he won the 14th edition of Mini Print International, in Cadaqués (Spain).
From 1994 to 1997 he was invited to several outstanding national and international exhibition, such as the 21st and 22nd International Biennial Graphics Exhibition in Lubiana (Slovenia), The International Award in Graphics Arts in Biella (Italy), the Ibiza Biennial in Spain, the Cracow Triennial Engraving Exhibition in Poland, the Stedeliske Museum of Sint Niklaas, Belgium, as well as the International Graphics Exhibition in Bitola (Macedonia), Kharkiu (Russia), Uzice (Croatia), Györ and Budapest (Hungary).
He was also invited – as the only Italian representative – to take part in the 4th Sapporo International Biennial in Japan, in the Triennial Graphics Exhibition in Tallin (Estonia) and in the Beijing Ex Libris International Show in the People’s Republic of China. In the same year he was awarded the Engraving Grand Prix at the Mini Print Finland competition. In the same year he got the “Young Italian Engravers Prize” at the Contemporary Art Museum “Villa Croce”, in Genoa (Italy). In 2001 he got a prize by National Museum of Modern Art in Tokio at the International Engraving Triennial in Kanagawa and, also, a prize by the Municipal Museum in Györ, Hungary. In 2007 he won the prize Leonardo Sciascia Amateur d’Estampes and the prize at the International Engraving Biennial in Acqui Terme.
In 2009 recived the Grand Prize at the 2°Bangkok triennale internacional Print and Drawing Exhibition Thailand
In 2011 receved the Purchase Prize at the Space International Print Biennial in South Korea.
The same year, he was also invited to the 54th Venice Biennale, padigione to Sicily at the Gallery Montevergini of Syracuse.
At present, he holds the chair of engraving at the School of Fine Arts of Palermo
He also works in Ragusa, where he lives.
Record of international recognitions and awards .
- 1994 Cadaques in Spagna la XIV Edizione del Mini Print International.
- 1998 Grand Prix “Mini Print Finland”.
- 2001 Prix Triennale Internazionale di Incisione di Kanagawa Japan
- 2001 Prix of the Municipal Museum of Györ Ungheria
- 2007 Grand Prix, Biennial internacional of Print Acqui Terme. Italy.
- 2007 Grand Prix all’Ural Print Triennial – 2007 in Russia.
- 2007 Grand Prix Leonardo Sciascia “Ama¬teur d’Estampes”. Castello Sforzesco, Milano
- 2009 Grand Prize for the Print”The 2nd Bangkok, Bangkok,Tailandia. Triennale, International Print and Drawing Exhibition
-2009 Internazionale D’Estampe Contemporaine de Trois- Rivières,Quèbec, Canada. ( Purchase Prize)
-2011 16th Space International Print Biennial Biennial Seul Korea (Purchase Prize)
- International Print Triennial Krakow, Krakow, Poland, 2006
- National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts, International Biennial Print Exhibition, R.O.C. Taiwan, 2008.
- 2nd Bangkok Triennale International Print and Drawing Exhibition “Grand Prize per l’incisione”, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009
- Biennale internationale d’estampe contemporaine de Trois-Rivières, Trois-Rivières, (Québec), 2009
- Penang State Art Gallery, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, 2° Penang International Print Exhibition, Universiti Sains, Malaysia, 2010.