The René Carcan International Engraving Prize is organised by the non-profit organisation Espace René Carcan.
The organisers have a twofold objective in setting up this prize.
On the one hand, they wish to fill a gap and provide Belgium with an international engraving competition. On the other hand, they are responding to the wish of the printmaker René Carcan (1925-1993) to give greater value to printmaking.
This Prize was awarded for the first time in January 2014 and is awarded every two years.
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION :
- Entries open to any artist who makes printmaking, with no nationality or age limits.
- An entry fee of €45 is required. This amount must be paid at the closing of the registration file and will validate the participation.
- Accepted techniques: Printmaking including intaglio, woodcut, burin, etching, lithography, linocut, xylogravure, silkscreen and monotype, as well as all techniques with a discrete photographic contribution.
- Each artist presents 4 coherent prints in digital format for the pre-selection jury.
- These prints must have been made within the last 3 years and will be in paper format of 60 x 80 cm maximum.
- 01/03/2023 : opening of entries
- 30/09/2023 : closing date for entries
- 11/10/2023 : deliberation of the Pre-selection Jury
- 23/10/2023 : communication to the selected artists
- 24/11/2023 : deadline for the reception of prints
- 01/11/2023 : opening of the public vote
- 09/12/2023 : deliberation of the International Jury
- 01/01/2024 : end of the public vote
- 03/02/2024 : Opening, award ceremony and exhibition
- 04/02/2024 to 03/03/2024: Exhibition at the Wittockiana - Museum of Book Arts and Binding in Brussels
- Candidates can only register via the website http://renecarcan.org where they must create an account.
- Each candidate then has a personal page, which he or she can manage at will.
- On this page, the candidate can upload 4 works via the "Add a work" button.
- The registration will only be taken into account if the candidate validates his/her registration by ticking the "Final" status before the closing date for submissions.
- Applicants will indicate in the registration form whether their work can be offered for sale - and at what price - should they be selected.
- In the event of a sale, a 15% commission will be charged by Espace René Carcan vzw.
- What is due to the artists will only be paid to them by bank transfer.
PRE-SELECTION JURY :
Composition of the jury:
Espace René Carcan asbl will appoint the members of the Jury, including the President. Their number is not limited. They are chosen for their expertise in the field of art and engraving in particular. The role of the Jury is to make a pre-selection. The Jury is sovereign, will deliberate blindly and its decisions are final.
Selection and dispatch:
- A first selection will be made by this Jury, which will retain 25 applications.
- The artists designated at the end of this first selection will send by post the 4 engravings listed in their registration file to the following address
l'asbl Espace René Carcan c/o Tilt Factory
Chaussée de Waterloo 255
- Prints received after the deadline of 24/11/2023 will not be considered.
- They will be sent unframed, without glass or matting, in a rigid, reusable roll. The rolls will not bear any external price indication and will mention 'Printed matter - No commercial value' (these labels can be downloaded from the website and are essential for the success of the shipment). In case of misuse of these labels, the competition organisers reserve the right to claim the customs fees from the candidate.
- The prints will travel at the artists' own risk. The prints will be taken in charge as soon as they arrive at the competition organisers.
- The organisers undertake to return to the participants any prints that have not been purchased.
INTERNATIONAL JURY :
Composition of the jury
- This jury is distinct from the pre-selection jury, but elected under the same conditions. The role of this International Jury is to choose from the 25 pre-selected artists 3 winners to whom the 3 prizes will be awarded.
- The Jury is sovereign, will deliberate blind and its decisions are final.
- The winners will be notified personally.
- René Carcan International Grand Prize: €5,000
- First mention - Roger Dewint Prize: € 3,000
- Second mention: € 2,000
The jury may decide not to award any prize.
- Public Prize: not endowed.
- The 25 artists from the first selection will be proposed to the votes of the Internet users. Via the website https://renecarcan.org/
- The artist whose work has received the most votes by the closing date will be awarded the René Carcan Public Prize.
EXHIBITION AND CATALOGUE:
- The selected artists will be guaranteed to participate in the René Carcan International Printmaking Prize exhibition.
- The organisers plan to publish a catalogue, a copy of which will be sent to each candidate selected for the exhibition.
- Artists waive the right to reproduce their work for the catalogue or for publicity purposes.
Any registration is automatically an acceptance of these rules.
Any further information can be obtained by email at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org