Cynthia Back was born in St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. and currently resides in Portugal. Cynthia earned a BFA at Minneapolis College of Art and Design and a post-graduate certificate at St. Martin’s School of Art in London, England. Cynthia has exhibited widely both in the U.S. and internationally. She is the recipient of numerous awards and honors including grants from the Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation, Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation, Puffin Foundation, Pollock-Krasner Foundation; residencies and fellowships to The Studios at Key West,The Artists Centre Dale, Norway, The Women’s Studio Workshop, Blue Mountain Center, Acadia National Park, The Ballinglen Arts Foundation Ltd., Ireland, Fundacion Valparaiso, Spain, Helene Wurlitzer Foundation, The Cill Rialaig Project, Ireland, and The MacDowell Colony. Her work is included in private and corporate collections including The Library of Congress, the New York Public Library, the Newark Public Library, the Free Library of Philadelphia, The New-York Historical Society, and The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
- Color Cuts, Zabar Project Gallery, The Studios of Key West, 2021
- R E L I E F, Washington Printmakers Gallery, Washington, D.C., USA, 2019
- Naturally: Woodcuts by Cynthia Back, Washington Printmakers Gallery, Washington, D.C., USA, 2017
- Wind Challenge III, Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadelphia, PA U.S.A., 2015
- Collages e Grabados, La Galeria de Pascal, Suchitoto, El Salvador, 2012