Grace Sippy grew up in Swisher, IA. She earned her BFA in Printmaking with Honors, at the University of Iowa, and earned her MFA in Printmaking at the University of Alberta. She has taught at the University of Alberta and the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Highpoint Center For Printmaking in Minneapolis, MN, as well as various workshops and demonstrations.
She has exhibited across the United States, as well as internationally: Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Taiwan, Japan and China. Grace has earned national and international recognition in her field, winning the Guanlan International Print Prize (2013), named Winner of the 10th International Biennial of Contemporary Prints in Liege, Belgium (2015), Honorable Mention in the Mid-American Print Council Juried Members’ Show (2016), an Excellence Prize from the Awagami International Miniature Print Exhibition 2017 in Japan, and 3rd Place in the René Carcan International Prize for Printmaking Exhibition 2018 in Belgium.
Grace has shown in several solo and two-person exhibitions. In 2020 she exhibited her series Body Language, as part of her Jerome Emerging Printmaker Residency at Highpoint Center For Printmaking. As Winner of the 10th International Biennial of Contemporary Prints in 2015 (Belgium), she was awarded a solo show to coincide with the 11th Biennial in 2017. This show, titled Entre Chien et Loup | Between Dog and Wolf, exhibited for several months at the Museé D’Ansembourg in Liege, Belgium. Grace also completed residencies at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (MIAD) in 2018, and at the Grand Marais Art Colony in 2020.
Grace’s interests in print media comprise of traditional and contemporary methods to create a complex visual language. Her work explores the hidden or underlying parts of the human psyche, seeking how it affects our mind, body, and our own interpretations of identity.
- Entre Chien et Loup | The Hour Between Dog & Wolf (Solo), Musée D’Ansembourg, Liège, Belgium, 2017
- Winner of The 10e Biennale Internationale de Gravure Contemporaine, Museum of Fine Arts of Liège, Liège, Belgium, 2015
- 4th (Prize Winner) & 5th Guanlan International Print Biennials, Guanlan International Printmaking Base, Shenzhen, Guandong, China, 2013 & 2015
- Body Language, Highpoint Center For Printmaking, Minneapolis, 2021
- Excellence Prize - Awagami International Miniature Print Exhibition 2017, Hall of Awa Japanese Handmade Paper Museum, Yoshinogawa City, Tokushima Japan, 2017